Do you ever get hangry?
That’s angry – or highly irritable – because you’re really hungry? My bf J never seems to suffer from this, but hangriness definitely hits me hard. While he’s the type who can, for example, forego breakfast no problemo, I can’t function without it. Even if I have an insanely early flight and I gotta be up and out by 4am, I gotta have something. And every three-four hours or so, my tummy starts to notify me that food is needed. And if I don’t heed the call? Well, best you stay clear.
So what to do if time is short and I don’t want to alienate all my family, friends and colleagues? This smoothie can be the answer. And it’s flexible! If you’ve had a light meal it can be a tasty dessert – or be bulked up to keep you full on its own for a few hours. It’s a perfect quick brekkie and post work-out treat.
Banana almond butter smoothie (vegan, GF)
Makes one serving
Tags: Gluten free, vegan, breakfast, snack, dessert, post-workout, smoothie, drink
- 1.5 cups of dairy-free milk (I use coconut)
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 heaped tsp of almond butter
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp agave syrup or 3/4 tsp of maple syrup
- 1 scoop of pea protein – great for post or pre workout!
- For something heavier or as a breakfast replacement I’ll add 1 or 2 tbs of gluten-free rolled oats (dissolved in about 3 tbs of hot water for easier blending and digestion)
- I love the taste of coffee and if I feel like a slight coffee taste I add 1 tsp of decaf coffee (dissolved in 1 tbs of hot water and stirred before throwing in the blender)
- 3-4 ice cubes for those extra hot days
Instructions: Blend for a minute or two and enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below!