It’s freezing winter here in Beijing, which means that most days I’m in the mood for something warm and comforting.
This dish is something I threw together which includes a lot of my favourite flavours – almond, coconut and mushroom! Add some broccoli and spinach, and these nutty creamy noodles make for a delicious and filling meal – a perfect dish to come home to after a windy cold day out in the city.
Creamy coconut-almond noodles with mushrooms and spinach
Tags: Gluten free, vegan, main dish
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1 medium onion/half a large onion, diced
- 3 – 4 cloves of garlic, chopped into small pieces
- 400g of Broccoli, chopped into florets
- 500g of spinach
- 500g of mushrooms (I like to use a mix of white and brown button mushrooms) sliced
- 2 tbs of almond butter
- 1 tbs of nutritional yeast (optional, but adds a slight creamy cheese-like flavour)
- 200 – 300 mL of coconut milk (depending on how thick you’d like the sauce to be)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 water (if steaming for extra soft broccoli)
- 4 servings of Gluten-free pasta (here I’m using a chick-pea based low carb pasta)
- Handful of fresh basil to serve/garnish
- Place olive oil in pan. Sauté chopped onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the diced garlic and sauté for another minute or two (be careful not to burn the garlic)
- Throw in the mushrooms and fry until mushrooms shrink and turn medium-dark brown (about 10 minutes)
- Add coconut milk to mushrooms, cover pan and simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes, until you can see the coconut milk begin to turn a brown mushroomy-colour!
- Take the liquid and some onions from the mixture and pour into a blender or food processor. Set aside the mushrooms in a bowl.
- Add almond butter and nutritional yeast to liquid in blender, pulse or blend for a minute or two, until well-mixed. Check the consistency, if too thick, add extra coconut milk and a tsp or two of almond butter if needed
- In a medium-sized pot, fry the broccoli in olive oil until florets are tinged brown. If you’d like them softer, add a 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover and steam for three minutes.
- Start to prepare the pasta per packet instructions
- Add coconut-almond sauce in blender to broccoli in pot, add spinach and mix together lightly. Let cook for about 5 minutes until spinach is cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta and add to pot (use extra water from the pasta to add to the sauce if you’d like a thinner consistency)
- Serve and top with mushrooms set aside earlier, garnish with basil. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below!